I decided to wait until the year drew to a close before running the best of 2019 poll. And after scanning through all the papers all I can say is–what a year it has been! We’ve got a lot of categories this year–two of which were suggested after last year’s poll so I’m putting them in this year.
- Favorite new history/genealogy/social criticism paper by Miles from 2019.
- Favorite new physics paper by Miles from 2019.
- Favorite new guest paper from 2019.
- Favorite art/counter-criticism paper by Miles of all time.*
- Silliest/most absurd hoaxed event of 2019.**
- Worst crisis actor of 2019.
- Event or topic that you most want to see Miles or a guest writer tackle (history, genealogy, hoaxed event, even science).
Leave your vote in comments.*** Or you can use the “Contact” link above to e-mail them to me. You don’t have to vote for all categories but please number your votes corresponding to the categories above. I’m going to leave voting open for a week. Votes cast after Tuesday night January 7 at 11:59pm EST will not be counted!
Happy New Year everybody!!
* By art/counter-criticism I mean his papers on artistic technique and also his criticism of modern art and modern art critics. Most of these papers are over ten years old, but not all of them. I would say if you haven’t read much of these, probably best to abstain from voting in this category.
** Does not have to be an event that Miles or his guest writers covered.
*** Votes for papers updated in 2019 that were published in previous years will not be counted.
Alright, the votes are in and have been tallied! I only got a couple of votes via e-mail, but they did not swing anything. I simply went through the comments and tallied the votes myself, so you are free to check my work. Here are the winners:
Favorite history/genealogy/social criticism paper of 2019. This was super, super close. It started out strongly in favor of one paper but then as the vote went on the winner caught momentum and finally edged out the second place finisher. It was quite gripping. But I guess you had to be there. The top two finishers were far and away the leaders of the pack, with 21 and 20 votes each.
- The Spirit and the Muse
- The Battle of France
- The Death of Mozart
Favorite science paper of 2019. Also neck-in-neck there for awhile:
- Solar Minimum Blues
- The Cause of Gravity, the Next Chapter
- Tie between ‘Dark Matter is Light’ and ‘Faraday and the Arago Effect.’
I voted for the Cause of Gravity Next Chapter. I may have given the Solar Minimum an unfair advantage because some people were not very specific when they mentioned a solar cycle paper, so I put those votes together under the Solar Minimum paper. I actually think the most important solar cycle paper this year was ‘The Latest on Solar Cycles.’ As for the gravity paper, I have definitely had difficulty getting my head around it, though I can recognize its importance. I would love to see Miles reconcile this new theory with his unified field equations where he assigned gravity to radius and charge to density. If they are both fundamentally aspects of charge, then how can you assign a charge effect solely to radius? Shouldn’t charge density both above and below, so to speak, matter?
Favorite guest paper of 2019. We were treated to a bumper crop this year, weren’t we? Here are the top 3:
- Iran’s Jewish Rulers
- Jewish Pirates
- The Dunblane Hoax
- Honorable mention: Christchurch Hoax
Favorite art/counter-criticism paper by Miles of all time. The winners in this category were not really the genre I had in mind. I have a sense that many of Miles’ current readers are less familiar with this part of his oeuvre. So I’m going to include some links to some of these lesser-known papers that received some votes.
- Money Laundering and the Art Market.
- Mr. Turner
- The Stolen Century
- Worth reading: An Artist’s Statement, Nietzsche contra Modern Art, The Art of the Last Man, Balls in a Basket, New Realism, The Many Failures of Modernism, Modernism is Fascism, Chance Abutmenting, A Nation of Scabs, and A Return to the Hockney-Falco Thesis.
Silliest/Most Absurd Hoaxed Event of 2019.
- The London Bridge Attack (Narwhal tusks and all).
- Tie between the Christchurch shooting/video and the Trump Impeachment.
- Global Warming/Climate Change.
- Honorable mentions: Epstein “suicide,” James Stern (Black Jewish neo-NAZI story), and the
fakefirst image of a black hole.
Worst Crisis Actor of 2019 award goes to: Greta Thunberg by a landslide!
Topics You Want to See Tackled by Miles or a Guest Writer. This is a long list, but I’m going to post it here (in the order in which they appeared) in the hopes that Miles or one of his readers (including you!) will want to take a crack: